Expansion of Preserved Food Market
Primary factor driving the freeze dried food market is the superior quality of its products when compared to other drying technology products. The other factors driving the global freeze-dried food market are the expanding preserved food market, growing urbanization & increased number of working women, the superior product quality offered, and the convenience to the customer. The final product has an excellent shelf-life (up to 25 years) without any added preservative.
Increased shelf-life makes it a profitable product during its supply chain. Moreover, the ingredients retain their original shape, while being light-weight, which makes it convenient for transportation. In the developed regions such as North America and Europe, the application of freeze-dried ingredients in healthy snack items is growing at a fast rate which is another major driver for the market.
Technological advances in freeze-dried products, to explore super foods such as beetroot and elderberry, is the future spotlight of the market. The growing demand for additive-free and natural products is providing a good opportunity for the freeze-dried market. In the developing regions, there is a growing demand for traditional products such as miso soup in Japan, and instant foods. Targeting these product categories can prove to be potential benefits for the market.
The restraining factor for the market is the availability of other drying techniques such as spray drying, and fluid bed drying, which is relatively low-cost than freeze-drying. Freeze-drying equipment is comparatively costlier than other dryers, which is a major drawback for the small and medium scale industries.
Freeze-Dried Fruits Segment Leads the Market
The freeze-dried product market is segmented by the product type that includes freeze-dried fruits, vegetables, beverages, meat and sea food, dairy products, and prepared foods. The freeze-dried fruits market holds the largest share in the freeze-dried product market, which is followed by vegetables, beverages and meat. The freeze-dried fruit segment accounted for almost a 31.7% share of the total of freeze-dried food market in 2016. This segment is expected to grow at 7.4% CAGR during the forecast period.
Fruits and vegetables are heat sensitive products, which are more prone to loss of vitamins and minerals when exposed to high temperature. Freeze-drying technology preserves necessary vitamins and antioxidants during dehydration, which increases its importance among the drying techniques. Freeze-dried beverages are further segmented into tea, coffee, and fruit beverages. The freeze-dried prepared food segment includes freeze-dried soups and prepared meals. This sub-segment is growing at a fast rate due to the excellent nutrition and sensory quality, apart from its instant cooking ability.
Europe and U.S are the Potential Markets
North America freeze dried food market holds the largest market share in the freeze-dried product market with a wide range of innovative food preservation technologies. The United States is the largest freeze-dried food market in North America, holding almost 55% share of the overall freeze-dried food market in the region. Developing regions, such as the Asia-Pacific, are growing at a swift pace due to their fast-growing economies and changing lifestyles. South America and Asia-Pacific are the fastest growing markets due to the increased pharmaceutical and food industries in the regions.
• September 2017: Nestlé has acquired a majority stake in Blue Bottle Coffee, a high-end specialty coffee roaster and retailer based company in Oakland, California.
• March 2017: OFD Foods to open new freeze-dried food plant in New York.
Major Players: NESTLE, KERRY, UNILEVER, KRAFT HEINZ, MONDELEZ INTERNATIONAL, Inc, CHAUCER FREEZE DRIED, DSM, NOVARTIS, MERCER FOODS
Reasons to Purchase this Report
• Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porter’s five forces analysis
• Market dynamics which essentially consider the factors which are impelling the present market scenario along with growth opportunities of the market in the years to come
• Market segmentation analysis including qualitative and quantitative research incorporating the impact of economic and non-economic aspects
• Regional and country level analysis integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market
• Competitive landscape involving the market share of major players along with the key strategies adopted for development in the past five years
• Comprehensive company profiles covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis and strategies employed by the major market players
• 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet in excel.
Customization of the Report
• Value chain analysis
• Consumer behavior analysis in country level